The idea behind group exercise is to enhance all health related components of fitness under the guidance of a qualified group exercise instructor. These components include cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and body composition. Group exercise classes have grown to include sports conditioning, dance, step, indoor cycling, water classes, mind/body and more. A typical group exercise class is 60 minutes long and consists of a warm-up, cardiorespiratory segment and/or muscular strength and endurance segment, core work, cool-down and stretching. Seattle Athletic Club provides outstanding classes taught by some of the most experienced instructors in Seattle.
The group exercise instructors at Seattle Athletic Club are required to have at least 2 years teaching experience while maintaining current national certifications. Their experience and knowledge provide the foundation for the success of our participants. The professional instructors at SAC create an atmosphere that is safe and comfortable which allows participants to push themselves to succeed. The continuing education our instructors receive provides them with the most current research, which allows them to teach a safe and effective routine. In addition, the instructors at SAC are great coaches and motivators. Our excellent team of instructors will push you to reach your full potential while maintaining proper form and having fun doing it! Lastly, the state-of-the-art equipment provided in each studio will enhance your overall work-out.
- To show our appreciation for the members of Seattle Athletic Club as well as add to the group exercise experience, we have regularly scheduled events for every department.
- The Group Exercise Department has fun social events which include the Zumba Holiday Celebration, BODYPUMP launches every 6 months, and the Cinco de Mayo Zumba Celebration.
- An additional benefit members receive are workshops in every department most of them are free of charge.
- The Group Exercise Department provides a BODYPUMP Technique class every 6 months to educate members of the safety and effectiveness of proper technique.
- Burn calories for a leaner body.
- Raise your overall fitness level.
- Improve your coordination and agility.
- Improve bone density.
- Increase your heart and lung capacity through a full-body workout.
- Tone and shape key muscle groups.
- Improve posture, core strength and stability.
- Build self-confidence!
- Select a class that sounds exciting and motivating to you.
- Introduce yourself to the instructor before class.
- Let the instructor know you are new to class and inform him/her of any injuries you might have or modifications you might need.
- Attend a new class more than one time before deciding if it is a good fit for you. The more you take a class, the more comfortable you become. Once you understand what the class is about and you are able to execute the moves properly and safely you will get a better all-around workout.
- For proper recovery, make sure to give your body a day of rest in between the same class style. Our schedule is designed to give you options between cardio-style classes and weight bearing classes every day of the week.
- Wear proper shoes such as cross trainers, which tend to give the best support for lateral movement while providing stability.
- Wear proper attire that is comfortable and allows your body to move and breath.
- Drink plenty of water before, during and after class.
- Listen to your body.
- Most importantly, have fun!
- Have a nationally recognized certification in group exercise that requires continuing education credits to maintain status.
- Have two or more year’s experience teaching group exercise.
- Coach proper technique and body alignment throughout class.
- Motivate you to reach and exceed your full potential.
- Provide options throughout class to accommodate all levels from beginner to advanced.
- Choreograph routines to energetic music that are both safe and effective.